There is one thing that can make or break a diet. And no, its not PMS.
There is no way a person can get through a diet without a little support; be it a friend, spouse, or an online community. But then again, being pressured by our friends could hurt us. So make sure your friends have the same goals that you do.
I have one such friend. Well, she’s already skinny. But she loves to help people get there too. I met her in my Chemistry lab last semester and right now, she is going to be one of my biggest helpers during this process. Her name is DeeJay, and when she read my post about wanting to drop some weight, she was eager to help out. These are the rules she gave me:
Ok, well for whatever reason if you really want to lose it, and in a healthy fast ways. First I suggest you watch the film “fat, sick, and nearly dead” and “forks over knives”, they are both on netflix and you may even be able to find them at the Redbox. However, if you dont have time no worries. For starters avoid anything that says Low fat fat free, 98% fat, weight watchers pre made food, lean pockets, lean anything, or any of that other so called diet food. All of that stuff is processed and just as bad for you as the real thing, and not only makes it hard for you to lose weight but even harder for you to keep it off.
If you really want to do this you can.
I will tell you what I think you should do and you can take it or leave it. Some diets will help you lose some weight but in the long run they don’t really work.
1. Drink as much water as you can a day, I drink a gallon a day, people think that is too much but if you can get half a gallon down, you will be better off. Definitely get 8 glasses (this is actually about 1/2 a gallon)
2. I know that you are probably extremely busy but start cooking. If you need some ideas there are lots of recipes that are quick, easy, and healthy.
3. Don’t tell yourself you are on a diet, this will only cause you to become anxious about what you are doing, feel bad if you don’t stick to it and more than likely it will make it so you fall away from it more often than not.
-Instead of saying “I can’t eat that I am on a diet” say “I can eat that but I don’t want to”
4. This is where it really kicks in.
STAY AWAY FROM: Anything processed, pre-packaged, or microwavable. This will not only make it harder for you to lose weight but most of that food has so much sodium that your body retains excess water. Boxed cereals are also really bad for you, even if they say “whole grain, low fat, or nutritious” White bread, potatoes (except for sweet potatoes), white flour, white sugar, brown sugar. When you eat any of these items ( and others, these are just some) they turn to sugar in your blood stream causing your insulin levels to raise, and causing you to either feel hungrier quicker (thus gaining excess weight) or it just makes it so you gain more weight.
5. Be careful of how much meat you consume. I know you probably grew up eating meat, as a lot of people did but contrary to what people believe it can actually cause more health problems that not. If you do eat meat buy it from the store, and cook it. Always buy lean meat (that is one exception for things labeled with lean) cage free meat, or vegetable fed is also very important. Do not eat anything that is labeled “corn fed”
most meat comes from corn fed animals which is extremely bad for your health weather you are trying to lose weight or now.
6. Eat lots and lots of:
Apples, oragnes, bananas, strawberries, pears, kiwis, pineapple, nectarines, watermelon, melon, mango, tomatoes, carrots, spinach, lettuce, kale, squash, eggplant, zucchini, cucumber, swiss chard, and any other fruits or vegetables. Raid the fruits and vegetable section of a grocery store. After a meal if you are hungry eat an apple as a snack, always carry a piece of fruit on you so that if you get hungry you dont go off and buy something quick and easy.
7. Eat almonds and walnuts for proteins
8. Sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes
9. use Olive oil, coconut oil, or grape seed oil to cook with.
-stay away from vegetable oil, or corn oil.
10. if you buy things that are processed read the labels, stay away from anything with high fructose corn syrup, maltodextrin, or anything else with corn ingredients, stay away from ingredients that you dont know what they are, or you cant pronounce the name. You may not believe it but a lot of sugar free things have Aspartame in it, stay away from aspartame.
-There is a lot more that I can tell you, if you would like the help I would more than willing to help you out. I can give you advice and you can choose what to do. But even if you just want support to get you to your wedding I would be more than willing. I would love to get the world healthy and I will help anyone that wants.
Don’t I have such an awesome friend?
I’m off to watch the movies she recommended Look for a post tonight or tomorrow about both!